Thursday, December 10, 2009

Our First and ONLY EVER Dog

Meet Annie.  Yes, I being the sweet wife/mother I am, I caved and gave into my husband's and daughters' pleadings (only because they were drastically influenced by their father) and we got ourselves a dog.  I still don't know how long this will last, but in the meantime, she has become a part of the family.  Back in November when David started his Family practice rotation, he brought a flyer home from one of the nurses.  She was a rescue pet and I agreed to go look simply b/c the others he found online were pure bred and at least $500 each.  This one came free with kennel and lots of goods.  Oh and did I mention how in the summer time when he started looking I went to be nice (ok and a little out of fear that he would make some rash decision and come home with one on the spot if I wasn't there) and after much browsing, he informed me he no longer wanted a dog b/c I wasn't being supportive enough?!  I guess he actually expected me to touch them.  Anyhow, after all that and on the long drive up to the couple's house, I informed him we were looking, then would go home and discuss.  We get there, the girls start begging for the dog and Dave then announces he's okay with taking her home, so after giving my sweet husband several dirty looks, I gave in and lost the 3 to 1 vote (knowing full well if I said 'no' I would have been made out to be the bad guy the rest of the drive home and several days following, but looking back that doesn't sound so bad?)  The girls love to give her bath, feed her and take her outside (all very much not my jobs.)  Does it sound at all like I'm whining?  Oh that's probably because I am good at it!
She is cute, the girls named her Annie, she came fully potty/kennel trained and does some fun tricks.  I have to admit, she has grown on me a little, but still not my thing at all especially with the oh so fun doggy smell and messy yard.  And of all the people to favor in our home, she chose me, so that means from the time I wake up, she follows me everywhere.  I sit, she jumps on my lap, some people find this cute, me--I am just realizing more and more that I am not a animal person, although a quick visit to the zoo and seeing animals from a distance, isn't so bad.
But I love my family, so thus I endure.  If she is in our home a year, it will be a miracle.  I have this odd feeling someday she might end up 'running away' like my brother's dog when we were little.  :) jk kinda.

1 comments:

Rachel said...

You sound like my dad when we got a cat. But he INSISTED that she remain an outside cat! She stayed for 15 years! ;)