Friday, February 12, 2010

SNOW DAYS AND THEN MORE SNOW DAYS!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE snow days.  Well, on occasion.  I have never lived in a place before that gets so many, but I have to admit on cold days, I don't like to go out- anywhere.  I like to just hang out with my family, stay in pajamas if we want and of course drink warm things like flavored milk steamers and eat hot soup.  (Yes, we all know my life revolves around food!  Someday, when I am a size 2, that might change, but not today!)  Anyhow, all that to say, if the weatherman predicts a snow day, even if there is only a light dusting, schools start cancelling or delaying the night before.  So, at the beginning of the month, Jeana came home saying her teacher told her class if they wanted to guarantee a snow day, they needed to put their pajamas on backwards, flush all the toilets three times and sleep upside down, well Jeana followed the instructions to a T, she almost forgot to flush the toilet downstairs before going to bed and was greatly concerned, so she was allowed to get up and ran awfully quickly.  Needless to say, it worked!



Our neighbor, who is currently a single dad, had to go to work, so his daughter got to hang out at our house for the day.  We decided to make a few treats.  Nothing pairs better with hot soup, then some nice, fresh homemade whole wheat bread.  Of course, the girls decided to make bears and snowmen instead.

They love to bake with mom.

Yummmmmm...ooey, gooey goodness...need I say more?


There is this great blog that always has tasty recipes (and if you live nearby have already been introduced to it by me I'm sure), but the reason I like it so much is because I am a visual cook.  If I hear about a recipe, sometimes I think, that could be good, but show me a picture, and I usually try to fit it somewhere into the menu ASAP.  All that to say this particular blog offers many great recipes with awesome inspiring pictures, so I decided to try my hand at some decadent food shots and well, yes I need work, but hey, it was fun and only took like 50 snapshots to get these two pics.  The blog is called, melskitchencafe.com, if you haven't be there yet, go check it out!

And what better way to enjoy a snow day than play in it and walk the dog in your pajamas?

Another attempt at a snowman.  And I know I have mentioned in the past that I have great neighbors, but I HAVE great neighbors!  Whenever it snows, the two neighbors next door, both pull out their snowblowers and do all 7 houses in the cul-de-sac.  Which this winter was especially nice because Dave has been extremely busy trying to finish his PhD, so he hasn't been around a lot and so it was nice to get out of the shoveling myself!  THANK YOU KIND NEIGHBORS.


I am typically pretty good at avoiding getting sick most of the winter, but it seems like at the end of Janaury or beginning of february, I get hit once with either the flu or a cold.  It usually only lasts a week, so I must admit I am fairly fortunate.  Well, this year was no different, but while I was sick and the girls were again enjoying a snowday, I found this lovely note and handpicked goods on my bed.  I really love having girls!  Both are very thoughtful and Jeana will often do sweet things like this.  She left me a note telling me that because I was not feeling well, I could go back to bed and Abby and she would take over and even make me dinner in bed!  The only problem was, there were too many things to do that day to go back to bed, but I was still touched by her thoughfulness!

1 comments:

Rachel said...

Hey! I see you are updating some more...and you're only a couple months behind now! ;) Did our breakfast conversation on Saturday inspire you or what?!