Tuesday, October 12, 2010

She's HERE!

Finally, the day came, and wow time seems to fly, maybe not so much when my ribs get bruised from a baby constantly kicking my right ribcage or the sleepless nights of not being able to find any comfortable resting position. But it never ceases to amaze me that a few weeks after they come, all of the seems like a distant, mostly forgetable past.


Makenzi finally joined our family on October 10, 2010. She weighed 8 lbs 5 oz and was 19 inches long. The best labor and delivery yet! Everything went way smoother than I could have planned, but maybe that's because for 3 months I kept fearing the worst after a very challenging and quick previous labor. I kept fearing I would have a baby in the car and thought how disappointed I was David hadn't done his OB/GYN rotation yet, but at last it wasn't necessary I made it to the hospital with plenty of time to spare and in the end, the doctor let David deliver Makenzi anyway.


I love how these tiny little people can really come with such individual personalities. I love that from day one they seem to have their own opinions on certain things. In all the ultrasound pictures, she always had her hands by her face, when born, that didn't change, if her hands weren't by her face, she was screaming. We kept trying to swaddle her and she would wiggle and scream until her hands were freed. One nurse even came in and said, "good luck with this one." Well, once we learned the trick, things turned out okay and she's been a sweet baby ever since!

David, who was on a pediatric rotation at the time, was able to switch his rotation to the hospital I delivered at and then was able to spend more time with me. My other fear, being I would go into labor while he wasn't around or not be able to get ahold of him or he would be too busy. But so many blessings came our way. We had her on a Sunday he WAS home, things went smoothly, the doctors he was rotating with let him off early both days to come spend time with me! Yeah.
These two are AWESOME big sisters!


In the end I don't know if Abby had more fun watching Scooby Doo in my room or hanging out with the new baby.


She came out with big cheeks and still has big cheeks, but it seems we are just good at making chunky babies! But I still think they are cute that way.

0 comments: